Sign up for email updates from Alabama Cattlemen’s Association

Shop Now
Facebook Pinterest Instagram Blog
Home > Partner Organizations > Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame

Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame

The Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame was established in 1981 by the Alabama Cattlemen’s Association and the Southeastern Livestock Exposition. The action was taken for the purpose of “recognizing and honoring living Alabamians who have made significant contributions to Alabama’s cattle and livestock industry.”

As specified in the charter of the Hall of Fame, charter members, “Shall consist of ten members. Thereafter, new members, not to exceed five in any calendar year, shall be elected by the existing members of the Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame.” A majority vote of the existing members shall be necessary for election of new members. Nominations shall be made in writing by an individual or organization and delivered to the chairman of the Hall of Fame.

The Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame is located on the third floor of the Alabama Cattlemen’s Association building in Montgomery. Pictures of each member of the Hall of Fame, along with brief biographical information, are displayed in the exhibition hall of the building, as well as below.

In 1995, an update was made to the organization’s bylaws to allow for the posthumous honoring of individuals. This “Pioneer Award” designation has seen numerous deserving men and women added to the Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame.








T. Whit Athey, Jr.

1981
Charter Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


T. Whit Athey, Jr. was born December 18, 1918 at Grady, Alabama, and grew up on a cattle farm there. Graduating from Auburn University in 1939 with a B.S. degree in agricultural education, Athey first worked as an assistant county agent with the Extension Service in Crenshaw County, and later as county agent in Bullock County. He assumed active management of Athey Polled Hereford Farm at Grady in 1947 and has operated the farm since that date. Athey served as president of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association in 1955. Earlier he had held all offices, including president, of the Montgomery County Cattlemen's Association. He helped organize the Alabama Polled Hereford Association, served as the group's first secretary, later as president, and currently as vice president. Athey is a member of the board of directors of Southeastern Livestock Exposition, Montgomery Production Credit Association, and Alabama Rural Rehabilitation Service. He is a member of the Ramer Methodist Church.


David Crawford

1981
Charter Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


David L. Crawford is a native of Perry County, Alabama, where he graduated from the public schools. He received a B.S. degree from the University of Alabama. In 1948 Crawford started a cow-calf operation and immediately joined the Perry County Cattlemen's Association. He served two terms as president of the county association. As an active member of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association, he has served as a state director. Crawford purchased his first registered quarter horse in 1953 in the first quarter horse sale east of the Mississippi River. He was a charter member of the Alabama Quarter Horse Breeders and Exhibitors Association and served that organization as president for two terms. He was also an organizer and director of the Southeastern Quarter Horse Association and the Alabama Cutting Horse Association. A charter member of the Southeastern Livestock Exposition, Crawford served as a vice president of the organization from 1970 until 1981 when he was elected president. Crawford has distinguished himself in the insurance field. He currently serves as president of Southern United Life Insurance Company, headquartered in Montgomery. He was one of the organizers of the company in 1956. A member of the Marion United Methodist Church, Crawford serves as chairman of the board of trustees.


RALPH S. EAGLE

1981
Charter Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Ralph S. Eagle was born January 11, 1915, on a farm near Jemison in Chiton County, Alabama. He has lived on a farm near Marion in Perry County since 1935, where he raises cattle and horses. In 1945 Eagle became the first breeder of registered quarter horses in Alabama and was the first member of the American Quarter Horse Association from Alabama. A charter member of the Southeastern Quarter Horse Association, formed in 1945, he was one of the founders and the first president of the Alabama Quarter Horse Breeders and Exhibitors Association. General manager of the first Alabama State Championship Rodeo at Montgomery in 1951, he served as president-manager of the Alabama Rodeo Corporation from 1959 to 1977. A charter member of the Southeastern Livestock Exposition, Eagle currently serves as first vice president. Serving as the first secretary of the Perry County Cattlemen's Association in 1944, he later served three terms as president of the county organization. He has served as a regional vice president of Alabama Cattlemen's Association and is an honorary vice president of the state association. Eagle operated a livestock auction market at Marion for 20 years. He served as president of the Alabama Livestock Markets Association and is an honorary lifetime director of that organization. He served as a member of the Board of Agriculture and Industries, State of Alabama, from 1968 to 1971.


W. H. GREGORY

1981
Charter Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


William H. Gregory, Jr. was born April 16, 1906 in Florence, Alabama. He attended Florence public schools and graduated from Coffee High School. He received a B.S. degree in agricultural science from Auburn University in 1928. Gregory started his agricultural career as an assistant agricultural engineer with the Cooperative Extension Service in 1928-1930. He served as county agent in Cherokee County 1930-1933 and in Morgan County 1933-1937. In 1937 Gregory became associate Extension agronomist at the State Extension headquarters in Auburn. He served until 1940 in that post and then served as Extension Animal Husbandman from 1940-1959, when he retired from the Extension Service. Gregory served as livestock advisor to the government of Ghana, West Africa, from 1959 to 1961. Returning to the United States he became chief of the stockyards and brands division and assistant director of the animal industry division of the Alabama State Department of Agriculture and Industries. He served in those positions from 1961 to 1979 when he retired from State service. One of the charter organizers of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association, Gregory is an honorary vice president of the organization. He was also instrumental in organizing the Alabama Association of County Agricultural Agents and the Southeastern Livestock Exposition. He assisted in organizing the Alabama Sheep and Wool Growers Association.


J. ED HORTON, JR.

1981
Charter Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


J. Ed Horton, Jr. was born March 31, 1923, at Athens, Alabama. He attended local public schools and graduated from Columbia Military Academy at Columbia, Tennessee. He received a B.S. degree in animal husbandry from the University of Tennessee in 1944. In 1947 Ed Horton began his farming and cattle operations in partnership with his father, who had founded Macedon Farms with a registered Angus herd in 1925, and the cattle operation has continued since that time. An active leader in Angus breed affairs, Horton served as president of the Alabama Angus Association, and as a member of the board of directors of the American Angus Association from 1971 to 1978. In 1979 he was elected president of the 40,000-member American Angus Association. Horton has served as a director and president of the Limestone County Cattlemen's Association. In 1961 he served as president of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association. Gov. Fob James appointed Horton as a member of the Agricultural Center Board of the State of Alabama in 1981. He also serves as a member of the Agricultural Advisory Committee of Auburn University. From 1963 to 1967 Horton served as a member of the State Senate in the Alabama Legislature.


CECIL LANE

1981
Charter Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Cecil Lane of Benton is a native of Lowndes County, Alabama. He started in the cattle business 50 years ago with a cow-calf operation. In 1955 Lane began a cattle feeding operation in Lowndes County, known as Lane Cattle Company. He serves as president of the company, with his two sons, Tommy Lane and Pierce Lane as partners in the enterprise. Active in a wide range of livestock and civic organizations, Lane has served as director and as president of the Lowndes County Cattlemen's Association. He is a former president of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association. A charter member of Southeastern Livestock Exposition, he serves as a member of the board of directors of the organization. He is a former member of the board of directors of the National Cattlemen's Association. Lane is a past president of Lowndes Academy and is a lifetime member of the board of trustees of the school. He serves as a member of the board of directors of Lowndes County Agricultural Stabilization and Conservation Service, the Equalization Board of Lowndes County, and the Alabama Citizens Action Program. Numerous honors and citations have been accorded to Lane. These include Leadership Award of Lowndes County, 1971; 50th Anniversary Award from Farm Bureau, 1971; "Father of the Year", Lowndes County CowBelles, 1979; "Father of the Year" Alabama CowBelles Association, 1980; Citizen of the Year by the Lowndes County Jaycees, 1981.


C. ED TEAGUE

1981
Charter Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


C. Ed Teague of Montgomery is one of the most widely known Alabamians in the livestock industry. Beginning as a fieldman with the Dairymans Cooperative Sales Association in Charleston, West Virginia in 1932, Teague moved in 1935 to work for the Alabama Cooperative Extension Service, first as assistant county agent, 1935-1942, and as county agent, 1942-1944. From 1944 to 1948 he served as Extension Dairyman. From 1948 to 1952 Teague was farm products agent for Alabama-Tennessee Coal, Iron and Railroad Company. In 1952 he began a long association with the Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce, where he served as director of the agricultural division. He retired from that post on December 31, 1974. Teague has served as secretary-treasurer for a wide range of livestock organizations, including Alabama State Steer Show Association, Alabama State 4-H Horse Show, Alabama Livestock Markets Association, Alabama Guernsey Cattle Club, Alabama Jersey Cattle Club, and the Alabama Holstein Breeders Association. A charter member of the Southeastern Livestock Exposition, Teague currently serves as secretary-treasurer. He is a life member and lifetime director of Alabama Cattlemen's Association and has served as secretary-treasurer of the Montgomery County Cattlemen's Association since 1955. Teague has served for many years as livestock superintendent of the South Alabama Fair.


JOHN M. TROTMAN

1981
Charter Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


John M. Trotman was born March 12, 1927 in Troy, Alabama. He graduated from Troy High School in 1944, studied agriculture at Auburn University where he was also a member of the varsity football team. Trotman has been a cattleman and farmer for the past 31 years in Pike County and later in Montgomery County, where he moved in 1954. For a number of years, he has operated Trotman Cattle Company, just South of Montgomery. Serving in a wide range of leadership positions in state and national cattle organizations, Trotman began as president of the Montgomery County Cattlemen's Association in 1960, then served as president of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association in 1966. He was a regional vice president of the National Cattlemen's Association in 1968-1970, first vice president in 1970-1972, and served as president of the national organization in 1972-1973. Trotman has served as a vice president of the Southeastern Livestock Exposition for the past 23 years, currently as second vice president. He has held the post of chairman of the board of directors of the Montgomery Production Credit Association for the past 15 years. He is currently first vice president of the Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce and president-elect for 1982. In other national service Trotman served on the National Advisory Council of the United States Department of Agriculture, 1973-1975, and on the Advisory Committee of the American Farm Foundation, 1980-1981.


EDWARD WADSWORTH

1981
Charter Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Edward Wadsworth was born December 7, 1909, in Prattville, Alabama. He is a life-long resident of Autauga County. He is the owner and operator of Wadsworth Farms, a diversified farming operation. He began his cattle operation in 1932, changed to a cow-calf program in 1933, and has operated that cattle business for 48 years. Wadsworth Farms has been cited by the United States Department of Agriculture as a Century Farm, having operated continuously as a farming enterprise for more than 100 years. Wadsworth was one of the founders and charter members of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association in 1944. He was also an organizer and first president of the Autauga County Cattlemen's Association. In 1980 the Alabama Cattlemen's Association recognized Wadsworth for 25 years of continuous service as an officer of the state association, including service as president in 1960, and as treasurer for the past 20 years. One of the organizers of the Southeastern Livestock Exposition in 1958, Wadsworth served as president of the organization from 1979 through 1981. In 1953 Wadsworth was named recipient of the Master Farmer Award by the Progressive Farmer magazine. In 1968 he was named "Cattleman of the Year" by the Livestock Breeder Journal. In 1979 the House of Representatives of the Alabama Legislature officially, commended Wadsworth for his leadership in the livestock industry in the state. And in 1980 he was honored with a citation by the 4-H Clubs and FFA Chapters in Alabama for his support of youth livestock programs.


E. HAM WILSON

1981
Charter Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


E. Ham Wilson is a native of Greenville in Butler County, Alabama. He attended Georgia Military College and graduated from Auburn University with a B.S. degree in agricultural science. Wilson is executive vice president and chief executive officer of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association, the nation's largest state cattlemen's association. He has served in that position for the past 30 years. He is also publisher and editor of Alabama Cattleman, one of the leading livestock magazines in the nation. One of the organizers and charter member of the Southeastern Livestock Exposition, Wilson is executive director of the organization that sponsors the annual rodeo and livestock week at Montgomery, the state's largest livestock event. Wilson is currently serving as president of the Livestock Publications Council, an international organization of leading livestock magazines and newspapers. In 1967 Wilson was named "Man of the Year" in service to Alabama agriculture by the Progressive Farmer magazine. In 1979 the Ham Wilson Livestock Arena was dedicated on the campus of Auburn University. The honor was bestowed on recommendation of the Board of Trustees and the unanimous action of the Alabama Legislature. In 1981 he was named to the American Polled Hereford Association's Hall of Merit for his outstanding contributions to the field of communications in the livestock industry. Wilson is a member of the Agricultural Center Board of the State of Alabama, responsible for operation of the State Coliseum in Montgomery. He is a member and secretary-treasurer of the board of trustees of the Alabama 4-H Foundation.


V. LAVERN BROWN

1982
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


V. Lavern Brown of Auburn is a graduate of Mississippi State University, with a Bachelor of Science degree in Agriculture. Since 1974 Brown has served as head of the Department of Research Operations for the Agricultural Experiment Station of Auburn University. He had the major responsibility for developing the research facilities at the E. V. Smith Research Center on the new experiment station at Shorter. For 25 years prior to 1974 Brown served as superintendent of the Lower Coastal Plain Substation at Camden. He moved to the Camden station after two years as the first superintendent of the Northeast Mississippi Branch Experiment Station. In 1980 Brown was named Man of the Year by the Alabama Crop Improvement Association. He is a member of Gamma Sigma Delta and Alpha Zeta, agricultural scholastic honorariums, and has been named an Honorary State Farmer by the Alabama Association of Future Farmers of America.


FLETCHER CHILDS

1982
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Fletcher Childs of Tuscaloosa, a native of Clarksville, Tennessee, has been a resident of Alabama since 1946 when he moved to Montgomery, Alabama following five years of service in World War II. He is a graduate of Austin Peay State College in Clarksville, Tennessee, receiving a B.S. degree. Childs has served as president and chief operating officer of R. L. Zeigler Packing Company since 1966. He began his meat industry career in 1935 with Davies Meat Packers of Columbus, Ohio. That was interrupted in 1941 for service in World War II. He was discharged in 1946 with the rank of Lt. Colonel in the 701st Tank Battalion. Beginning as sales manager of Frosty Morn Meats in Montgomery in 1946, he became general manager of the firm in 1957 where he served until joining Zeigler in 1966. He has served as a member of the board of directors of the National Meat Association and as vice president of Alabama Meat Packers. He has been elected as a lifetime director of Alabama Cattlemen's Association.


W. R. LANIER

1982
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


W. R. Lanier of Jachin is a native of Choctaw County, where he has lived and worked throughout his life. He is the owner and operator of Lanier Hereford Farm, consisting of 6,000 acres of pasture and woodland acreage, running about 300 registered horned Hereford brood cows, and about 25 registered quarter horses. In addition to his ranching and farming interests Lanier also owns and operates the Jachin Lumber Company, which employs about 85 people, and owns and manages approximately 20,000 acres of timberland. Lanier serves as vice president and chairman of the board of the Choctaw Bank of Butler, and he is a director of Choctaw Industries (Vanity Fair) at Butler. He has served as chairman of the board of directors of Choctaw General Hospital and of the Choctaw County Chamber of Commerce. In 1978 Lanier climaxed a long record of leadership by serving as president of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association.


MACK MAPLES

1982
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Mack Maples of Athens was born in Limestone County, Alabama on December 1, 1914, the son of the late Dr. & Mrs. W. E. Maples. He began his farming operations in 1936 and in 1937 he bought his first registered Angus heifers for $50 each, and established Maples Stock Farms, one of the oldest and most respected purebred Angus cattle operations in the Southeast. Maples served as president of Alabama Cattlemen's Association in 1952. He has also served as president of the Alabama Angus Association and the Alabama Beef Cattle Improvement Association. He has seen service on the executive committee of the American National Cattlemen's Association and as a member of the board of directors of the National Beef Improvement Federation. Maples was chairman of the Limestone County Rural Development Committee that was responsible for building the Feeder Pig Barn and the Farmers Market in Athens. He has also served as chairman of the Athens-Limestone Hospital and the Limestone County Board of Education.


Dr. M. Lawrence Crawford

1983
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Dr. M. Lawrence Crawford was born on February 3, 1920 in Perry County, Alabama. He attended Auburn University and graduated with a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine Degree in 1942. Crawford practiced veterinary medicine in Lake Charles, Louisiana and Mobile, before returning home to Marion in 1946. During the next thirty years, Dr. Crawford was a full-time veterinarian and operated a livestock farm. Since his retirement in 1976, he has devoted full time to his beef cattle program consisting of a cow-calf and stocker operation. Crawford has devoted a lifetime of service to the livestock industry serving as an officer in many county and state organizations. He has served as secretary-treasurer and president of the Alabama Veterinary Association; director and past president of the Perry County Cattlemen's Association; director and past president of the Perry County Farm Bureau; charter member and director of the Auburn University Agricultural Alumni Association and a member of the Southeastern Livestock Exposition. In 1982, Dr. Crawford received a service award from the Alabama Veterinary Medical Association. In 1983, he was presented the Centennial Angus Herd Award by the American Angus Association in recognition of his herd's 50 years of continuous production. Dr. Crawford is married to the former Gloria Huey of Enterprise, and they have two children, Shirley Crawford Dorrough of Montgomery and George Crawford of Marion.


Joseph P. Givhan

1983
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Joseph P. Givhan is a native of Safford in Dallas County and has been a resident of Mobile 30 years. He graduated from Alabama Polytechnic Institute in 1930 and the University of Chicago in 1931. In 1977, Givhan retired after 43 years of service to Alabama beginning with the Soil Conservation Service in 1934 and the Cooperative Extension Service in 1935. From 1977 to 1979, Givhan served as Director of the Alabama Foreign Trade Relations Commission. Givhan has spent a lifetime involved with the beef cattle industry, beginning as a 4-H boy in Dallas County. He showed cattle in the first state steer show and exhibited five Grand Champions in succession through the years 1925-29. In 1954, Givhan was one of the six founders of the Red Angus Association of America, serving two terms as its president. He was also a charter member of the Southeastern Red Angus Association and the Alabama Red Angus Association, serving as president of both. In 1962, Givhan instituted his own Good Neighbor Program by donating a Red Angus Bull from his own herd to fifteen foreign nations, including Brazil, Russia and South Africa. In 1964, Givhan, with several others, saw the need to develop an export market for Alabama agricultural commodities. He helped secure $15 million to construct grain elevators at seven inland river ports which were subsequently responsible for the expansion of the state's soybean industry.


J. D. Grimes

1983
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


J. D. Grimes was born in Wilhentown (Coffee County) on July 5, 1910. He attended the public schools in Coffee County: He is a veteran of World War Il. Mr. and Mrs. Grimes owned and operated Grimes Restaurant and Motel for 28 years in Troy Grimes is an outstanding leader and cattleman of Pike County. He has been in the cattle business for some 22 years and has produced purebred Polled Hereford cattle for 20 years. He has served the County Cattlemen's Association in all its offices and was its president for three different terms. He also served as regional vice president of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association and was elected lifetime director of the association in 1983. Grimes has been a tremendous supporter of the Pike County 4-H Club and FFA members beef cattle projects, helping them to locate good calves to feed and assisting in the selling of their steers to local buyers prior to the state show and sale. He was elected "Father of the Year" in 1983 by the Pike County CowBELLES. The County 4-H Clubs have awarded him plaques on two occasions. He received the Extension Service Leadership Award in 1970 and the President's Award from Troy State University in 1970. J. D. is married to the former Flois Chancellor of Troy. J. D. is the father of one son, Lovil D. Grimes of Dothan and he has two grandsons. Mr. and Mrs. Grimes are members of the First Baptist Church and are outstanding citizens of Pike County.


Aubrey Smith

1983
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Aubrey Smith is a native of Eclectic in Elmore County, Alabama. He attended Auburn University where he received a B.S. Degree in Agricultural Science in 1943. Since 1957, Smith has been employed by Auburn University as superintendent of the Black Belt Substation in Marion Junction. He was assistant superintendent from 1951 to 1956 and worked with the Soil Conservation Service from 1946 to 1950. During his 27 years as superintendent, Smith has done much research work on beef cattle. The first crossbreeding research in Alabama, and some of the earliest work in the nation, was done at the Black Belt Substation with Smith's assistance. He reported weaning weights of 650 pounds and cattle finished from the feedlot at 13 months of age. Smith assisted with extensive research on creep feeding of beef calves and systems for harvesting, storing and feeding hay. The Black Belt Substation, and Smith, have received national attention for doing the initial work on fungus free fescue. Smith has been author or co-author of numerous publications pertaining to forage production, hay harvesting, crossbreeding of beef cattle and animal nutrition. He is a lifetime honorary member of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association and currently serves as director and vice-president of the Auburn University Agricultural Alumni Association.


Julio Corte, Sr.

1984
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Julio Corte, Sr., a name in Baldwin County that will conjure up a lot of images - sweet corn, potatoes, beef cattle, soybeans and pecans. Because for most of the 20th century, the farming operation of A. A. Corte & Sons at Loxley has been one of the most diversified to be found. But it's been the cattle business - especially the purebred Angus business - where this operation has really made its mark. And it's been Julio Corte, Sr. who's been most closely identified with the cattle. One of six children involved in the A. A. Corte & Sons partnership, Julio has been interested in purebred Angus for several decades. In fact, some of the first Angus in Alabama were shipped to the Corte operation more than 60 years ago. Today, Corte is recognized as a Centennial Angus Farm by the national breed association. And Corte has always been ready to serve when the cattle business called. He was a pioneer promoter of the Angus breed of cattle, and a past President of the Alabama Angus Association. Corte worked to help organize the Robertsdale Stockyard so that cattlemen in his area would have a good market. He was also one of the primary organizers of the Baldwin County Fair. Corte is the father of three children, one of whom, Julio, Jr., is a past President of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association. Julio Corte, Sr. is married to the former Goldie Smith.


Collier Freeman

1984
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Collier Freeman, a lifelong cattleman of Dothan, has served the industry well for many years. This service includes seven terms as President of the Wiregrass Polled Hereford Association, as well as President of the Alabama Polled Hereford Association. In addition, Freeman served for a number of years on the Board of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association and was honored with a Lifetime Directorship with ACA. Always interested in encouraging young people, Freeman has been Chairman of the Tri-State Fat Stock Show and a 4-H Fat Stock Sale. However, Freeman's interest in agriculture goes beyond the cattle business. He was Chairman of the Dothan-Houston County Chamber of Commerce for three years and spearheaded the building of the Wiregrass Farmer's Produce Market. He served as President of this market for 22 years. Because of this effort, Freeman was named Dothan's "Man of the Year" in 1961. Freeman also served as President and Agri-Chairman of the National Peanut Festival. He was a charter member of the Houston County Farm Center Board and served on the State Center Board. He also spent five years as a member of the State Market Authority Board. A Dodge dealer for 33 years, Freeman was President of the Alabama Automobile Dealers Association in 1961 and was on the Board of this organization for 29 years. Freeman has been a member of the First Baptist Church of Dothan for more than 50 years. He is a deacon, usher, and member of the benevolence committee.


Dr. Billy Powell

1984
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Billy Powell, a native of Leroy, grew up with Red Angus cattle and tall pines. Under the watchful eye of Powell and his family, the Red Angus herd grew to be one of the largest such herds in the Southeast. The pines grew on their own. Powell left Washington County in the early '60's headed for Auburn University. After receiving a Ph.D. from Auburn in Animal Science, Powell served as an assistant professor, and later joined the Alabama Cooperative Extension Service as a Food Science Specialist. In 1975, he became Vice President of Lapeyrouse Feed, Inc., of Mobile where he was responsible for formulating livestock rations, buying ingredients, organizing production and coordinating sales. But all the while, he was quite involved with the family cattle operation and Red Angus activities. He served as National President of the Red Angus Association and in 1983 was awarded the "Personality of the Year" by the national association. In 1982, he served as President of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association. He currently serves as First Vice-President of the Southeastern Livestock Exposition. He was also the first President of the Auburn University Agricultural Alumni Association. Today, Powell lives in Montgomery where he is Assistant Executive Vice-President of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association. Active in the Methodist Church and Kiwanis Club, Powell is married to the former Elizabeth Crawford. He and Beth have three sons.


Billy Robertson

1984
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Billy Robertson has been a mainstay of West Alabama's beef cattle industry for more than 40 years. It was in Baldwin County where Robertson got his first taste of raising cattle - and he's seen a lot of changes since then. Not the least of which has been fences. When Robertson was a youngster, cattle still roamed the open range and pine thickets of the Coastal Plain. Robertson came to the Black Belt as a student - not a cattleman. He graduated from Marion Military Institute's Junior College in 1938. After finishing Auburn University in 1940, he headed back to West Alabama and bought what is now MARBILU RANCH at Gallion in 1943. Since then, Robertson has put down deep roots, both in his community and his industry. Active in agricultural organizations, Robertson served as Chairman of the Hale County ASC Committee for 12 years and area supervisor of the Hale County SCS for seven years. He's also served as Vice-President and Director of the Canebrake Bank for 32 years and Director of the Black Warrior Electric Membership Cooperative for eight years. He was also a Director of the West Alabama Mental Health Association for 10 years. Naturally, Robertson has been active in cattle association activities. He's a past President of the Hale County Cattlemen and was State President of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association in 1968. He is married to the former Louise Monroe, and they have two children.


Milton Wendland

1984
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Milton "Buzz" Wendland operates one of the larger, more diversified crop and livestock farms in Alabama and is active in agricultural organizations at the local, state, and national level. A native of Randolph, Kansas and a graduate of Kansas State University, Wendland owns Autauga Farming Company in Autaugaville. Wendland was President of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association in 1979. He has also served as President of the Alabama Crop Improvement Association, as a member of the Auburn University Agricultural Advisory Council, on the State Board of Agriculture and Industries, and on USDA's National Cotton Advisory Council. He is a member of the Southeastern Livestock Exposition, the Alabama Beef Cattle Improvement Association, and is Secretary-Treasurer of the Autauga County Soil Conservation District. Wendland's innovative approaches to agricultural production and his willingness to take on leadership roles haven't gone unnoticed. In 1976 he was chosen "Cotton Farmer of the Year" by COTTON FARMING magazine. In 1980 he received the Free Enterprise Award from the Farm-City Committee of Alabama. The PROGRESSIVE FARMER named him "Man of the Year in Service to Alabama Agriculture" in 1981, and the Alabama Crop Improvement Association honored him as "Man of the Year" in 1982. Wendland serves as President of Montgomery Tractor Company and Dallas Compress Company in Selma. He also serves as a Director of the Bank of Prattville and of First Alabama Bank of Montgomery. He is married to the former Diane Smith, and they have four children.


Dr. Troy B. Patterson

1985
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Dr. Troy B. Patterson, Auburn, served as Professor of Animal Science at Auburn University for 29 years. Prior to joining the Auburn staff in 1957, Patterson served in the same capacity at Mississippi State University for six years. He retired in February 1986. During his long tenure of service, Patterson was a leader in the growth and development of the state's billion-dollar beef industry. He has taught many Alabama cattlemen courses in beef cattle production and animal breeding. Dr. Patterson was in charge of the beef cattle breeding research at Auburn and is nationally known for his early work showing the advantages of crossbreeding. For 23 years he directed the Auburn University Bull Test Program, which is the oldest continuing bull test program in the nation. He is a member of Alpha Zeta and Gamma Sigma Delta, national honorary agricultural societies and Sigma Xi national research society. He is listed in Who's Who in America. Patterson is a past president of the Lee County Cattlemen's Association and served as a regional vice president of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association. He also helped organize the Alabama Beef Cattle Improvement Association and served on its board of directors since its inception. A native of Columbus, Mississippi, he graduated from Mississippi State University in 1947 and received his master's and Ph.D. degrees from Texas A & M University. Patterson's wife, Betty, is very active in the Alabama CowBelles. They have four grown children.


H. "Pete" Reynolds

1985
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


H. "Pete" Reynolds, Eutaw, is truly one of the last of the old-time cowboy... the men who rode the old western trail drives and lived with the cattle day and night. Reynolds spent 20 years ranching in Mexico. He crossed the Rio Grande on January 1, 1925, and ranched on 250,000 acres 140 miles south of the U.S. border until 1945. He ranched in Montana from 1946 to 1948 and in New Mexico from 1948 to 1951. In 1951, Reynolds moved to Alabama near Demopolis and operated ranches in Greene, Marengo and Hale counties. He operated the Eutaw Stockyard, Demopolis Stockyard and Linden Stockyard from 1954 to 1974. Reynolds brought some of the first Registered Quarter Horses to Alabama and was one of the first directors of the American Quarter Horse Association. He was one of the founders of the Alabama Quarter Horse Association. Active in rodeoing, Reynolds won the Montgomery Rodeo calf roping in 1952 and 1953. He presently operates, with his son, a 700-acre ranch in Greene County with an additional 2,500 leased acres including a 250 brood cow herd and a 2,000-head grazing program. He also operates a 4,000-head capacity feed lot.


W. Comer Sims

1985
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


W. Comer Sims, Selma, prominent Dallas County civic leader and cattleman, has been a longtime leader in cattle and agricultural affairs in the State of Alabama. He operates an extensive cattle and farming operation southeast of Selma. Sims is a native of Covington County and graduated from the University of Alabama where he played football and was a member of the Rose Bowl Team of 1931. He served as high school coach and teacher at Abbeville, Greenville, Albertville and Selma. For 26 years he was superintendent of Parks and Recreation for the city of Selma. He is a past president of the Dallas County Cattlemen's Association and, in 1969, was elected president of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association, having held every office in the state organization. Sims served as Assistant Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries from 1974 to 1983. Active in civic affairs, Sims is a past president of the Selma Exchange Club, director of the Citizen's Bank and Trust Company of Selma, past president of the Alabama Parks and Recreation Society and a member of many other civic and agri-business organizations. He is married to the former Eleanor Strickland.


Charles A. Webb

1985
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Charles A. Webb, Marion, is a partner in Webb Brothers, one of the state's oldest and largest cattle farming and timber operations. This vast 25,000-acre ranch is located in the heart of the Black Belt, eight miles west of Marion. It was homesteaded in 1819 and the family still has the original sheepskin deed signed by the late President Andrew Jackson. Charlie joined the Webb Brothers' cattle and farming operation in 1931. His uncle, J.M. Moore, gave him and his brother, J.C., their first registered Hereford Cattle and the gift was the beginning of beef cattle on the Webb Brothers' farm. In 1944, Charlie Webb organized the Perry County Cattlemen's Association and served as its first Vice President. He was a charter member of the Alabama Hereford Breeders Association which was founded in 1943 and he attended the organizational meeting of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association in Demopolis. At that meeting he was elected county director from Perry County. In 1947, he was instrumental in establishing the first Hereford Futurity in the Southeast. Webb graduated from Marion Military Institute and attended both Auburn University and the University of Alabama. Charlie Webb has played an important role in the development and organization of Alabama's beef cattle industry for the past 60 years. His leadership and that of Webb Brothers contributed much to making beef cattle one of the state's largest and most important industries.


John C. Webb

1985
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


J.C. Webb, Marion, is a partner in Webb Brothers, one of the state's oldest and largest cattle farming and timber operations. This vast 25,000-acre ranch is located in the heart of the Black Belt, eight miles west of Marion. It was homesteaded in 1819 and the family still has the original sheepskin deed signed by the late President Andrew Jackson. J.C. joined the Webb Brothers' operation in 1931 along with his brother, Charlie. In 1934, their uncle gave them four registered Hereford heifers and one bull. The gift was the beginning of a long history of Hereford cattle production on this ranch. Today it stands as one of the largest and oldest Hereford operations in the southeast both purebred and commercial. J.C. graduated from Marion Military Institute and attended Auburn University. He was a charter member of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association and a charter member of the Perry County Cattlemen's Association, which he served two terms as president. He was an organizer of the Black Belt Feeder Calf Association in 1944 and worked for the construction of the cattle show barn in Demopolis. He is a past chairman of the board of directors of Marion Military Institute and for 24 years was a director and chairman of the Perry County Soil Conservation Committee. In 1933, Webb helped organize the Alabama Hereford Breeders Association. The first meeting was held on the Webb farm. J.C. Webb has played an important role in the development and organization of Alabama's beef cattle industry for the past 60 years. His leadership and that of Webb Brothers contributed much to making beef cattle one of the state's largest and most important industries.


John B. Armstrong

1986
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


John B. Armstrong, Kingsville, Texas, is one of the nation's most outstanding and respected cattle leaders. He now serves as president of the famed King Ranch with headquarters in Kingsville, Texas. In 1950, Armstrong purchased the Day's Bend Ranch in Autauga County and on Thanksgiving Day, I950, he arrived in Alabama with eight railroad carloads of Santa Gertrudis brood cows from his Texas Ranch. During the next 15 years he and his family worked to develop one of the top Santa Gertrudis herds in the Southeast. While living in Alabama, he was very active in the production and promotion of the state beef industry. In 1952, he was president of the Autauga County Cattlemen's Association and from 1953-62, was a member of the Executive Committee of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association and served as chairman of the state Beef Promotion Committee. In addition to his leadership in Alabama, Armstrong served as president of the Santa Gertrudis Breeders International from 1957 to 1959 and regional vice president of the National Cattlemen's Association. In 1979, Armstrong was recognized as Man of the Year in Service to Texas Agriculture by the Progressive Farmer Magazine. Me served as chairman of the Beef Industry Council of the National Livestock and Meat Board from 1962 to 1969. He is also a past president of the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association. His wife, the former Henrietta Kleberg Larkin, died in 1986. They were the parents of three sons and one daughter.


Carlton R. Larkins

1986
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Carlton R. Larkins, Elba, prominent Coffee County cattleman, businessman and civic leader, has been active in cattle and agricultural affairs for more than 35 years. He operates the Circle L Ranch, producing purebred Santa Gertrudis cattle. Larkins pioneered the Santa Gertrudis breed in Alabama. He was the fourth breeder in the state and the first in Coffee County. He was a founder of the Alabama Santa Gertrudis Association and served as its first president. He was named "Man of the Year" in 1980 by the association. He served as a member of the board of directors of the Santa Gertrudis Breeders International, Kingsville, Texas for a number of years. He is a past president of the Coffee County Cattlemen's Association and served as regional vice president of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association. He managed the Coffee County stockyard for seven years and was manager of the Frosty Morn Packing Company's livestock promotional program in the Southeast. Active in Civic Affairs, Larkins was a charter member of the Elba Rotary Club and is a past president. He is a member of the First Baptist Church of Elba and serves on its board of trustees. He is married to the former Margaret Lucille Taylor. They have one son and one daughter.


Dr. A.W. Patton, Jr.

1986
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Dr. A. W. Patton, Jr., Tuscaloosa, owns extensive cattle and farming operations in Tuscaloosa County. He produces purebred Angus cattle and has been active in Angus circles for more than 30 years. He is a past president of the Alabama Angus Association and is a member of the American Angus Association. Dr. Patton has been a dedicated leader of the Tuscaloosa County and Alabama Cattlemen's Associations. He served three terms as president of the Tuscaloosa County Cattlemen's Association and is a lifetime director of the county group. On the state level, Dr. Patton served two terms as regional Vice President of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association. Active in civic affairs, Patton has practiced dentistry for more than 40 years in Tuscaloosa County. He attended the University of Alabama and graduated from Emory University with a DDS degree. He is a past president of the Exchange Club, former director of Central Bank of Tuscaloosa and is a member of several dental associations. He also serves as an elder in the Presbyterian Church. He is married to the former Regina Ingram.


John T. Jenkins

1987
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Johnny Jenkins, Macon, Georgia, is one of the most outstanding and best-known agricultural journalists in the South and nation, specializing in beef cattle and livestock writing and magazine publishing. Jenkins is a native of Alabama and moved to Florida at an early age. He graduated from the University of Florida with a B.S. in Journalism. After graduation he joined the staff of the Florida Cattleman Magazine. In 1948, he purchased the Southern Livestock Journal and established headquarters in Macon, Georgia. Thus began his career as a spokesman for beef cattle in the South. In 1958, he combined his magazine with The Breeder Stockman of Virginia under the name of Livestock Breeder Journal with Jenkins as editor. This merger enlarged circulation to cover all of the east coast from New York to Florida. Livestock Breeder Journal was the voice of the East and Southeastern cattle and livestock industry. In 1983, the magazine became the weekly, Beef Week, which is now a monthly publication. Jenkins has been recognized and honored by numerous cattle groups. He is a founder and past president of the National Livestock Publications Council. He was the recipient of the first American Polled Hereford Association Hall of Merit Award in Communications and the American Angus Association Award of Merit. He is a member of the Georgia Cattlemen's Association Hall of Fame and in 1974, he was named a life member of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association. For more than 30 years Johnny Jenkins has been a friend and great supporter of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association and the state's livestock industry. He is married to Libby K. Jenkins, and they have one daughter, Jennifer.


Dr. George S. Killian

1987
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Dr. George Killian, of Fort Payne, is a prominent DeKalb County veterinarian, cattleman and civic leader. Dr. Killian graduated from Auburn University in 1948 with a degree in veterinary medicine and has extensive large and small animal practice in DeKalb County. In addition, he has extensive farm and cattle operations producing purebred Limousin Cattle. He was one of the first to record Limousin in Alabama. Dr. Killian has been a longtime cattle leader in Northeast Alabama. He served two years as president of the DeKalb County Cattlemen's Association, was Regional Vice President of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association and in 1983, was elected president of the ACA. He was instrumental in establishing the Diagnostic Laboratory at Auburn University and was chairman of the American Veterinary Medical Association's Brucellosis eradication program. In 1983, he was named Cattleman of the Year by the Alabama Cattleman Magazine. He has been honored by State 4-H and F.F.A. organizations for outstanding service. He is a past president of the Fort Payne Chamber of Commerce and was a founder and president of the DeKalb County Auburn Club. Dr. Killian served in the Armed Forces during World War II and as a Captain in the Army Veterinary Corp during the Korean Conflict in 1953-55. He is married to the former Virginia Payton, and they have four daughters.


Harold Pate

1987
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Harold Pate, prominent Lowndes County cattleman and civic leader of Lowndesboro, owns and operates the Harold Pate Ranch, producing purebred Charolais, Limousin and Simmental cattle. For more than 20 years, Harold Pate has been a leader in county, state and national cattle circles. He has served as president of the Lowndes County Cattlemen's Association and as Regional Vice President and state president of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association. He is currently serving as First Vice President of the Southeastern Livestock Exposition. Pate, a graduate of Auburn University with a B.S. degree in agriculture with a major in animal husbandry and nutrition, was named Cattleman of the Year by the Alabama Cattleman Magazine in 1977 and in 1987 was selected as Seedstock Producer of the Year by the Alabama Purebred Beef Breeds Council. He is a past president of the Alabama Charolais Association. He has served as a member of the board of directors of the American-International Charolais Association and as Vice President of the American Chianina Association. In addition to his cattle leadership, Harold Pate has found time to serve his county, state and nation. In 1951, he entered the Alabama National Guard as a PFC and rose to the rank of Colonel, commanding the 31st Aviation Battalion. At present he is an aviator for the Alabama Air Reserve National Guard. He has served as a member of the State Agricultural Center Board which operates the coliseum and agricultural center. He is active in the Lowndesboro Baptist Church and Lowndes Academy. Harold is married to the former Joan Holland, who is a past president of the Alabama Cow Belles Association. They have five children.


M.W. (Warren) Hall

1988
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


M.W. (Warren) Hall is a native of Midway in Bullock County and the third generation to breed registered cattle on the farm known as Bermuda Polled Herefords. In 1948 he became a partner in the M. W. Hall & Son operation. After his father's death in 1956, Warren continued to operate the farm and today manages 1,100 acres with two registered breeds, Polled Herefords and Gelbviehs. Performance has always been important at BPH and in 1958 official documentation of performance began. Rising feed costs and concern for the practicality of the operation caused Warren to look for an alternative to grain tested animals. In 1978 he began an all-forage test for measuring performance. This seemed the most economical and practical program for the commercial buyers. The concept proved to be successful and continues to be practiced at BPH. He is a charter member of the Alabama BCIA and has served it from director to presidency. In 1986 the organization named him seed-stock producer of the year and in 1988 he received the Richard Dees Award for outstanding service. Warren was instrumental in the organization's development of all forage test at two sites in the state. In addition to his participation in BCIA, Hall is an active member of the local cattlemen's association, two breed associations, Polled Hereford and Gelbvieh. In 1969, he was named Cattleman of the Year by the Livestock Breeder Journal. Hall is a member of Midway Baptist Church where he teaches a Sunday School class and has served as a deacon for 35 years. He and his wife have two children.


Raymond B. Jones

1988
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Raymond B. Jones, Huntsville, is president of G. W. Jones and Sons, one of the largest and oldest cattle operations in the state. In 1986 they celebrated their 100th Anniversary. Jones manages more than 10,000 acres of farmland in North Alabama, producing commercial Hereford cattle and Kentucky 31 fescue seed. He and his family were pioneer breeders of fescue and were responsible for its popularity in the State. In addition to their farming operations, G. W. Jones & Sons offers Civil Engineering, Insurance and Real Estate Sales in the Huntsville area. The company owns 40,000 acres of mineral land in Northeast Alabama which produces steam coal. Jones graduated from Auburn University with a B.S. degree in Animal Husbandry. In addition to his many business activities, he finds time to support his county and state. He is a past president of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association, Madison County Cattlemen, President of the Huntsville Rotary Club, past Chairman of Ducks Unlimited. He is a member of the Board of Trustees of David Lipscomb College and the University of North Alabama in Huntsville. In 1968 Jones was named Huntsville's Outstanding Young Man of the Year. Raymond Jones is recognized as one of the top cattle producers in the Southeast and has contributed much to the growth and development of the state's cattle industry during the past 30 years. He is married and he and his wife, Libby, have three children, Lisa, Mary and Raymond.


Dr. W.M. (Bill) Warren

1988
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


William Michael Warren was born July 5, 1917, in Bancroft, Michigan, on the family farm his great grandfather established in 1836. He received a B.S. degree in Animal Husbandry in 1940 from Michigan State University, a M.S. in Animal Breeding from Texas A&M University in 1948, and a PhD from the University of Missouri in Animal Breeding in 1952. He served as a line officer in the U.S. Marine Corps in World War II, and saw duty on Okinawa, Peleliu, New Britain, Guadalcanal, and in China. He coached the livestock judging teams and taught Animal Husbandry at Texas A&M during the years 1940-42, 1946-50, and 1952-55. In 1955, he joined the Animal Sciences Faculty at Auburn University in Auburn, Alabama, and served there for 25 years as professor and department head. In 1979, he was named Alabama Cattlemen's Association's distinguished professor of Animal and Dairy Sciences. He retired from Auburn in June of 1980. He was Executive Director of the Santa Gertrudis Breeders International in Kingsville, Texas, from 1980 until his retirement August 1, 1988. He is a member and former officer of several agricultural organizations and has published numerous research papers and popular articles in various livestock publications throughout the years. He chaired the American Quarter Horse Research Committee for 15 years and is a lifetime member and honorary vice-president of the American Quarter Horse Association. He has judged beef cattle, horse, sheep, and swine shows in the United States and foreign countries.


Glynn C. Debter

1989
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Glynn C. Debter has been a breeder of registered Hereford cattle since 1948. He began with two bred heifers, a planned breeding and merchandising program and a desire to produce functional, efficient Hereford cattle. Deter Hereford Farm has grown to 265 registered cows and 100 commercial cows that must meet strict performance standards to stay in the Deter program. Individual performance records have been kept on all cows and calves for 25 years. Debter's complete performance program mandates that as much data be collected as possible and used objectively to breed an elite set of functional Hereford cattle. He is recognized as a leader in the American Hereford Association's Total Performance Records Program. In addition to being a dedicated cattleman, he has served his industry in an unselfish manner promoting the beef industry whenever and wherever possible. Debter is a lifetime Director of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association and is currently 2nd Vice President of the organization. He was a Director of the American Hereford Association from 1984-89 and served as its President in 1988. Debter is also active in community and county affairs. He is a Director of Community Bank of Snead, Alabama, Chairman of the livestock committee of the Blount County Agribusiness Center and lends support to youth programs whenever possible. Field days and judging contests are yearly events at Debter's Hereford Farm. Glynn and his wife Bobbie are the parents of two sons and grandparents of four.


Ann Samford Upchurch

1989
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Ann Samford Upchurch, a native of Birmingham, Alabama since the age of two, attended Brooke Hill School for girls and Sweet Briar College in Virginia, majoring in philosophy. In 1962 she and her husband, the late Dr. Sam Upchurch, acquired the property in Autauga County now known as Grey Rocks Ranch. It has since grown to be one of the largest purebred Santa Gertrudis cattle operations in the state, carrying a total registered herd of approximately 600 head. Mrs. Upchurch participates in a "hands on" fashion in the daily ranch decisions and operations. She was one of the first breeders to promote grazing tests in the West Central area and has continued to run grazing tests on her own ranch. Mrs. Upchurch started and has managed her own Production Sale each year. She recently completed her twelfth successful sale making it the longest running Santa Gertrudis Production Sale in the state. Her SGBI sanctioned sale cattle have won several State Grand Champion titles. Mrs. Upchurch is a longtime supporter of FFA, 4-H, and the Alabama Cattlemen's Association programs. She spearheaded a Youth Endowment Fund for the Alabama Junior Santa Gertrudis Association in 1989, of which she was made an honorary member. She is also a supporter of Auburn University and its Animal Science Department. Recently, Mrs. Upchurch started the Samuel Earl Upchurch Endowment Scholarship in Agriculture and Agribusiness at Auburn. "Miss Ann" as she is known to her friends and fellow cattlemen, has always been a leader in everything she undertakes. She is the mother of twin daughters and a son.


Dr. Jim Hicks

1990
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Dr. Jim Hicks is founder and owner of the world famous Briarhill Angus Farm located in Bullock County near Union Springs. Briarhill Angus Farm was recognized as one of the top Angus herds in the United States. Every year in their annual production sales, Briarhill Angus cattle were sold at record breaking prices. Dr. Hicks purchased his first Angus cows in 1950 and for the next three decades he built the premier Angus herd in America. His cows were shown at all the major shows in the United States and Canada and brought home countless championship trophies and ribbons. In 1980 his bull, Briarhill Jay, was Supreme Champion of the All-American Angus Futurity. In 1981 Dr. Hicks sold the highest priced Angus cow in history for $300,000. When the Briarhill herd was dispersed, it was the largest Angus sale in the United States with more than 700 head of registered Angus cows selling at auction. Dr. Hicks was a very active supporter of youth livestock programs in the state. For many years, he donated registered Angus bulls to FFA Chapters throughout the state. The Birmingham Chamber of Commerce cited Dr. Hicks as "Man of the Year" for his contributions to rural Alabama. Because of his many years of contributions to the Alabama Cattlemen's Association and the beef cattle industry, he was elected Lifetime Honorary Vice President of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association.


Dr. Dale Huffman

1990
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Dale L. Huffman was born in Churchville, Virginia and was raised on a dairy farm in central New York. He served with the U.S. Air Force and saw service in Korea prior to completion of the B.S. degree from Cornell University. He received the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Meat and Animal Sciences from the University of Florida. Dr. Huffman worked in the meat industry prior to moving to Auburn University in 1963 as a Professor of Meat and Animal Science. During his tenure at Auburn, Dr. Huffman has won numerous awards and recognitions for his research. His recent research studies on lean ground beef have received international headlines. Dr. Huffman developed the technology resulting in the low fat hamburger that McDonald's Corporation test marketing. He also worked on restructured beef products and utilizing the muscles from the chuck. The American Meat Science Association has recognized Dr. Huffman for his outstanding research. He has served as President of the Reciprocal Meats Conference and has been a consultant to several national food manufacturers. Dr. Huffman is a member of several professional and honorary organizations and has received awards for his professional contributions. He is active in the Methodist church and community affairs. He and his wife, Jo-Ann, are the parents of three children.


Claude Hardee

1991
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Claude Hardee, prominent Monroe County cattleman and agricultural leader, graduated from Auburn in 1938 with a B.S. degree in Agriculture. Hardee taught high school vocational agriculture for more than thirty years in Alabama. During his career, many of his students won high honors in all of the FFA sponsored projects and contests. He was responsible for sending many rural students to Auburn University. Over the years, Hardee built a large cattle and timber operation in Monroe County. He was a pioneer in cross breeding, the feeding of silage and the use of winter grazing in his beef cattle operation. He developed one of the first herds of Santa Gertrudis in Alabama. In addition to cattle, Hardee has been breeding quarter horses since the mid-1950s. In 1988, the world champion $10,000 non-pro cutting horse was bred and raised by Hardee. Hardee is a charter member and past president of the Monroe County Cattlemen's Association. He has received many county and state honors for his outstanding contributions to the Beef Cattle Industry. He was presented the first "Cattleman of the Year Award" and has been honored with this award a second time. Several years ago, Hardee was honored as "Farmer of the Year" by the Monroeville Kiwanis Club. For more than twenty years, Hardee served as Director of the Production Credit Association, some of this time as Chairman of the Board. He was elected and served on the advisory board to the New Orleans Federal Intermediate Credit Board representing Alabama for several terms.


J. Lem Morrison

1991
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


J. Lem Morrison, Greensboro, was Chairman of the Board of The Dairy Fresh Corporation, a large multi-state, multi-million-dollar milk processing and distribution company doing business in several southeastern states, with headquarters in Mobile and Greensboro. Mr. Morrison was active in business, church, civic and agricultural affairs in Alabama for more than 56 years. He operated a large dairy and beef cattle operation in west Alabama near Greensboro. Morrison was Chairman of the Board of the Alabama 4-H Foundation for 28 years and was primarily responsible for building the four-million-dollar Alabama 4-H Center in Shelby County. He served as a member of the State ASCS committee for eight years and 16 years as a member of the Alabama State Board of Agriculture. Morrison was a charter member of the Southeastern Livestock Exposition. He served as president of the Hale County Farm Bureau 1946-1950. In 1971 he was named Alabama Small Businessman of the year. In 1983, Auburn University awarded Lem Morrison an Honorary Doctorate of Science for his outstanding contribution and service to the University and State of Alabama.


Steve Tondera

1991
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Steve Tondera, prominent Madison County cattleman and widely known civic and church leader, lives in Huntsville, Alabama. A native of Waco, Texas, Tondera attended Texas A&M University and graduated from Baylor University with a degree in Mathematics and Physics. Tondera owns and operates Diamond T Ranch near Huntsville. He runs a herd of registered Santa Gertrudis cattle. He has been very active in Alabama's cattle industry. He is past president of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association, past president of Alabama Santa Gertrudis Association as well as the Madison County Cattlemen's Association. He was elected the first president of the Alahara Purebred Beef Council. Tondera has been active in the National Cattlemen's Association serving as president of NCA's Region I and long-time member of the National Executive Committee. In addition to his cattle interest, Tondera has been very active in church and civic projects. In 1976-78 he served as president of the Alabama Baptist State Convention. In 1975-76 he served as District Governor of Alabama Lion's Club. Tondera is presently serving as Senior Engineer at Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville. He is married with one daughter and two sons.


Dr. J. Lee Alley

1992
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Dr. Lee Alley of Montgomery has a long and distinguished career serving the state and nation's livestock industry. He has served as the State Veterinarian for the Alabama Department of Agriculture and Industries since 1979. A native of Bullock County, Dr. Alley received his D.V.M. degree from Auburn University in 1956. He has done post-graduate work at Michigan State, Vanderbilt, and Auburn. Dr. Alley worked 13 years with the United States Department of Agriculture prior to becoming the Extension Veterinarian for the Alabama Cooperative Extension Service at Auburn University. After seven years with Auburn, he worked as brucellosis coordinator for the USDA. Under Alley's leadership, Alabama has become a Class A state under the brucellosis eradication program; been declared free of bovine tuberculosis; and has eradicated an outbreak of exotic Newcastle disease in poultry. He has written the monthly column "Animal Health News" in the Alabama Cattleman magazine since 1970. Dr. Alley has also been an outstanding cattle producer and was a pioneer in establishing stocker calf board sales across Alabama. He has been active with the Alabama Cattlemen's Association, serving two terms as regional vice president and representing the state on the National Cattlemen's Association's Animal Health Committee. He is an honorary member of the Southeastern Livestock Exposition and is a past president of the United States Animal Health Association. He has chaired numerous committees with the American Veterinary Medical Association. Dr. Alley and his wife, Eleanor, have two daughters.


Ned Ellis

1993
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Ned Ellis, of Fort Deposit, is an outstanding state and national cattle industry leader. He has developed one of the top Chi Angus programs in the country at Circle E Farms where he also incorporates broilers and timber into the family livestock operation. Ellis also owns Priester's Pecan Company, a pecan candy manufacturer with national mail order sales and a retail outlet in Fort Deposit. Ellis graduated with a degree in animal science from Auburn University where he was recognized as a student leader. He has been very active in leadership positions for a number of livestock organizations. He served as president of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association and as chairman of the board of the American Chianina Association. Ellis currently serves as the Alabama director of the Beef Industry Council and is on the Executive Committee. He is third vice president of the Southeastern Livestock Exposition and serves as chairman of the State Steer Show Committee. Ellis has been president of the Lowndes County Cattlemen's Association and regional vice president of the state association. He also served on the board of directors for the National Cattlemen's Association. He serves on the board of directors of the Alabama Poultry and Egg Association and on the First Lowndes Bank, where he was one of the principal organizers. Ellis and his wife, May, have three daughters and a son along with several grandchildren.


Ida Belle Young

1993
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Ida Belle Young is a longtime cattle rancher and notable philanthropist from Montgomery. Miss Young has been an active participant in the Alabama Cattlemen's Association and the National Cattlemen's Association for over 30 years. Miss Young says that she gained her knowledge of treating and caring for cattle from her father and the love of cows and calves from her mother. Mr. Young ran steers on his east Montgomery ranch in the 1940s, but Mrs. Young's enjoyment of cows and calves caused him to convert to a cow-calf program. Ida Belle's father ran an ag supply business in downtown Montgomery. He sold equipment, feed, and fertilizer before retiring to the family farm due to health reasons. Following Mr. Young's death, Ida Belle began to improve the herd. She went to see Clarence Cross in Colquitt, Georgia, at the well-known Josuli Hereford Farm. There she purchased some top bulls. Her mother, who collected silver dollars over the years, gave them to Ida Belle to purchase 50 head of good cows. This was the beginning of the development of a top Hereford herd. During the 1960s, many 4-H'ers came to Young Ranch to select their club calves. Also, during this time, Ida Belle's southern hospitality opened her ranch to cattle tours. In fact, she hosted 11 Southern Railroad bus tours in one year, with one group being from Brazil. Ida Belle was a major contributor to the Cattlemen's Building Capital Campaign for the children's educational center.


William H. Johnson, III

1994
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


William H. Johnson, III, of Montgomery, owns and operates a farm in south Montgomery County where he has a Red Angus and Brangus herd and quarter horses. Bill has served as president of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association, a regional vice president of the ACA and president of Montgomery County Cattlemen's Association. Bill served two terms as president of the Alabama Red Angus Association and has been a board member of the Alabama Brahman Association and the Alabama Quarter Horse Association. He also has served as a director of the National Cattlemen's Association. Johnson is currently first vice president of the Southeastern Livestock Exposition and serves on the Rodeo and Horse Show Committees. Bill is the manager of Garrett Coliseum where he has done an outstanding job upgrading the facility. Bill grew up on a livestock farm in Eutaw where his father served for over 40 years as the county Extension agent. Johnson graduated from Livingston University where he was an all-conference football player and afterward played in the National Football League for several years. He is married to Cissy McLendon, and they have two sons, Hank and Walt.


Jim Adams

1995
Pioneer Award
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


This year, the Hall of Fame is pleased to announce the first winner of the Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame Pioneer Award. This award was started to recognize those industry pioneers who are now deceased. It is fitting that the first recipient is an individual who was a pioneer in both the cattle and horse industries in the state, as well as an innovative association leader. Jim Adams was a widely known cattleman, quarter horse breeder and successful businessman from Dothan. He was a pioneer in the quarter horse business in the Southeast and for many years had one of the largest annual production sales in the country. He served as president of the Alabama Quarter Horse Association and was a major supporter until his death in 1979. Adams served as president of the American Shorthorn Association and the National Peanut Festival for many years. Adams represented Houston and Henry counties in the Alabama State Senate for four years. Adams made his most significant contribution to the livestock industry while serving as president of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association in 1958. During his term in office, the Alabama Cattleman magazine became a monthly publication, the legislation for the first beef checkoff program was started and the Southeastern Livestock Exposition was formed. Adams was elected the first president of the SLE and served until his death.


Buck Compton

1995
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


A.W. "Buck" Compton, Jr., of Nanafalia, is actively engaged in the purebred cattle business and has been a longtime leader in the cattle industry. Buck owns Compton Charolais Farm, calving 160 cows annually, Compton Timber Company and Compton's Country Store. He has served in many leadership capacities, including president of the American-International Charolais Association, the Alabama Cattlemen's Association, the Alabama Charolais Association and Alabama Beef Cattle Improvement Association. Compton has been a long-time leader in performance testing with bulls, topping several BCIA tests and sales. He has been a member of the Cattlemen's Beef Board, the Auburn University College of Agriculture Advisory Committee, the Demopolis PCA, the Marengo County FMHA, the Marengo County Forestry Committee and the Soil Conservation Committee. He is a director for the Sweet Water State Bank. Compton graduated from Auburn University, where, as a junior, he served as president of the School of Agriculture and vice president of Alpha Gamma Rho fraternity.


Dr. Tom Vaughan

1995
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Dr. Tom Vaughan, a native of Tuskegee, is nationally known as an outstanding equine and bovine veterinarian and administrator. He received his Doctor of Veterinary Medicine from Auburn University in 1955 and served in the Department of Large Animal Surgery in the College of Veterinary Medicine. Dr. Vaughan moved to Cornell University in 1970 to become professor and director of the Department of Large Animal Surgery and Medicine at the New York State College of Veterinary Medicine. He served in this capacity until his retirement. Dr. Vaughan has authored 22 chapters in textbooks, along with numerous articles. He served at many leadership positions, both at the state and national levels. He was elected president of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons in 1980 and president of the American Association of Equine Practitioners in 1981. Dr. Vaughan was named Alabama Veterinarian of the Year in 1985. Over the years, Vaughan has significantly influenced Alabama's animal health activities for the benefit of the total livestock industry in the state, as well as nationally. He has directly influenced Alabama's efforts to prevent and eradicate costly livestock diseases. His efforts have helped ensure that we have a continuous supply of well-trained veterinarians to maintain effective animal health programs for Alabama's livestock producers.


W.O. Crawford

1996
Pioneer Award
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


William O. Crawford was one of Alabama's early livestock industry leaders. W.O. was unique. Not only was he a pioneer in the cattle industry, but he was also instrumental in the development of the American Quarter Horse and the Tennessee Walking Horse industries in Alabama. In 1937 and 1938, Crawford served as vice president of the state Future Farmers of America. He studied agriculture at Alabama Polytechnic Institute (now Auburn University). There he joined two brothers, Norman and Lawrence, as a member of Alpha Gamma Rho fraternity. Following his father's death, he returned home to run the family farm. In 1944 he helped organize and was elected president of the Perry County Cattlemen's Association. He was also elected vice president of the Alabama Angus Association. Crawford brought some of the first registered quarter horses east of the Mississippi River. In addition to breeding champion horses, he was also a well-respected quarter horse judge. The Alabama Quarter Horse Breeders Association was organized at a meeting at Spur Ranch. That was also the site of the first registered quarter horse sale in the state. In addition, Crawford helped organize the Tennessee Walking Horse Breeders Association and was a noted breeder. His children, Beth, Ellen and Roy, showed many blue-ribbon winners and his wife, Betty, rode Gypsy Lee to the Ladies' World Championship in 1954. And Crawford was always ringside for the Walking Horse Celebration in Shelbyville, Tenn. In 1958 Crawford helped found another organization, the Southeastern Livestock Exposition. He served as SLE vice president until his death in 1978.


Henry B. Gray III

1996
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Henry B. Gray III of Eufaula has owned and directed a large commercial cattle operation in Barbour County since the early 1950s. He has a long and distinguished career of service to the cattle industry, the Alabama Cattlemen's Association and the State of Alabama. Gray was elected president of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association in 1972, served on the state executive committee a number of times and was president of the Barbour County Cattlemen's Association. An industry leader, Gray was one of the first cattlemen in Alabama to carry his weaned calves to heavier weights through a stocker program. He helped organize and develop the board auction system for marketing cattle. Since 1992 he has been an advocate for retained ownership through the feedlot phase so the producer can reap the rewards of added value. General, he served as a member of the Alabama National Guard and U.S. Army Reserve for 33 years. Gray served as Adjutant General, State of Alabama, where he directed a 20,000 person Army and Air National Guard. Gray has held numerous positions in local civic and community activities as well. He continues to serve his state as vice chairman of the State Ethics Commission. He has also received the Auburn University Extension Service Leadership Award and has been named Eufaula Citizen of the year. He is married to the former Mary Adams and they have three children.


Dr. Phil Hardee

1997
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Dr. Philip C. Hardee grew up on a large, diversified cattle ranch in Monroe County. Double Five Ranch includes a large commercial cow-calf herd, a stocker program, quarter horses and timber. In 1967, Hardee received a B.S. degree in animal science from Auburn University where he was student body president. He received his MD from the University of Alabama in Birmingham then served on the faculty for three years. Hardee is currently a practicing orthodontist with offices in Andalusia and Monroeville. In addition, Hardee is a licensed auctioneer. He served as president of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association in 1994 and was previously a regional vice president of the state organization and president of the Monroe County Cattlemen's Association. Hardee has served on the National Cattlemen's Association Board of Directors and as vice chairman of the Private Lands and Environmental Management committee. In 1997 he was elected to a three-year term on the National Cattlemen's Beef Association Executive Committee as a representative of Region II. Hardee has also served as president of the SLE.


Dr. Bob McGuire

1997
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall

Dr. Bob McGuire, a native of North Carolina, came to Alabama in 1974 to head the Auburn University Extension Animal Science Department. He remained at Auburn University until his retirement in 1994 after a distinguished career which spanned 37 years of service to beef cattle producers. McGuire wrote a monthly column in Alabama Cattleman for 20 years. He served as the supervisor of the A Bull Test for 10 years and was instrumental in the expansion of the Alabama Beef Cattle Improvement Association. Under McGuire's leadership, the Alabama Purebred Beef Breeds Council was established, and the popular Stocker 700 was implemented. He served on numerous regional and national committees and held regional and national offices in the American Society of Animal Science. He served as president of the Lee County Cattlemen's Association and is a Lifetime Director of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association. McGuire is also a member of the Southeastern Livestock Exposition. Since his retirement he has remained in Lee County and is a fulltime cattleman. He is also a past president of the Alabama Limousin Breeders Association.


Will Howard Smith

1997
Pioneer Award
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


William Howard Smith was a pioneer leader in Alabama agriculture. A native of Autauga, he studied agriculture at Iowa State College before returning to the family farm in 1919. He participated in the day today activities of the farm, which was 6,000 acres at its peak, and remained active until his death in 1973, six weeks after the death of his wife of 62 years. Smith, known by his many friends and acquaintances as Mr. Will Howard was one of Alabama's leading farmers and businessmen as well as a dedicated humanitarian and philanthropist. As a farmer, he had great respect for agricultural research which resulted in his being an early adopter of scientific principles. He was the first to turn from the custom fencing of native grasses to carefully selecting and preparing land, fertilizing, liming and seeding pastures. The results of this practice would come to be known as improved pastures. Smith was a pioneer leader within many agriculture organizations. He helped charter and organized the Alabama Farm Bureau; served as the first president of the Alabama Crop Improvement Association; served on the first board of the National Cotton Council; served for seven years on the board of the Birmingham branch of the Federal Reserve Board and served on the Muscle Shoals Commission in 1931. He was president of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association in 1949. In 1961 Smith was presented with the Honorary Doctorate of Laws degree from Auburn University; he was the first farmer to receive this honor.


Emory F. Behel

1998
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


In 1946, Florence native Emory Behel started a 200-head dairy. He converted the farm to a beef cattle program in 1970. He ran the North Alabama Beef Cattle Improvement Association bull test on his farm for 18 years. Behel is a longtime member of the Lauderdale County Cattlemen's Association, serving as president in 1974. He helped organize, and served as president of, the Northwest Alabama Livestock Association which owns and operates a stockyard in Russellville. As a producer, Behel closely followed the modern management practices as advocated by Auburn University. In 1970 he received the Master Dairyman of the Year Award from the Cooperative Extension Service. Behel was recognized for his involvement in the beef cattle industry in 1991 when he received the Richard Deese Award from the Alabama BCIA. He served as president of the Alabama Farmers Cooperative Board and was a director for the Lauderdale County Farm Bureau. He served on the local Soil Conservation Board and the Alabama Farmers Federation. Behel serves as an Elder in the Lone Cedar Church of Christ and is past chairman of the Mars Hill Bible School.


Paul Fuller

1998
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


A native of Elmore County's Slapout community, Paul Fuller, graduated from Auburn University (the API) and had a long, distinguished career with the USDA. Fuller rose through the ranks to the top position in his division, Director of the Livestock and Seed Division. In this position he was in charge of the Federal Livestock Reporting Service for the livestock, meats and grain, the Meat Grading and Standardization Service and the USDA oversight of the checkoff programs for cattle, pork, wool and mohair, and soybeans. He was very instrumental in working with the cattle producers in the setting up procedures and policies for the establishment of the national beef checkoff program. Fuller started working for the USDA immediately following graduation in 1956. He was in charge of the Chicago Livestock and Meat Reporting Service before transferring to Washington, DC in 1965. He was named Director of the Division in 1984. Fuller is the recipient of USDA's Distinguished Service Award and the Federal Presidential Rank Award, given to members of the Senior Executive Service, both in recognition of outstanding service to agriculture. Fuller has consulted with the soybean checkoff program and assisted several foreign countries in developing marketing programs for agricultural products. He has served as a genuine friend to the state and national cattle industry. He retired back home to Elmore County in 1995.


Fred Hooper, Sr.

1998
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Mention Fred Hooper to Alabama cattlemen and most will think of the sprawling, modern stockyard that he built on the southwest side of Montgomery. However, in Thoroughbred circles, Hooper means more than 50 years of production of some of the nation's top racehorses. Fred W. Hooper Sr. is an outstanding self-made Thoroughbred breeder. A native of Cleveland, GA, Hooper moved to Montgomery in 1939 where he operated a large construction company. He built and operated Hooper Stockyards in 1958 and was the founder and major benefactor of Hooper Academy. Hooper is nationally recognized as one of the all-time top breeders of Thoroughbred horses. He has twice received the Eclipse Award as the top breeder in the nation. Hooper is the only person to have won the Kentucky Derby with a horse raised in Alabama. This occurred in 1945 when "Hoop Jr." raised on the Hooper Farm in Montgomery, won the internationally famous race. Since then, Hooper has consistently produced top national stakes winners on his Ocala, FL, farm. Two of his horses, "Susan's Girl" and "Forego" were three-time Eclipse Award winners. Hooper was recognized in 1975 and again in 1982 as the country's top breeder. In 1982, Hooper's two-year-old Florida champion, "Copeland", was considered the top prospect for Triple Crown honors. Hooper has been inducted into the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame, the Georgia Thoroughbred Breeders Hall of Fame, the Florida Thoroughbred Hall of Fame and the Hollywood Park Pavilion of Stars Hall of Fame. He served as president of the Florida Thoroughbred Breeders Association from 1971 – 1979.


Dr. John Milligan

1998
Pioneer Award
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Dr. John Milligan received a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine in 1929 from Alabama Polytechnic Institute (Auburn University) and was employed by the state of Alabama from 1930 until 1975. In 1951 he became Alabama's first full-time State Veterinarian. He had a strong commitment to controlling livestock disease and was a strong spokesman for protecting the health of the state's cattle industry. Milligan served as a State Veterinarian for 24 years. He was a leader nationally and served as president of the United States Animal Health Association and the Southern Animal Health Association. Milligan was instrumental in eradicating diseases that detrimentally impacted the state's beef cattle industry. During his tenure the dreaded Texas fever tick and screw worm, which cost cattle producers millions of dollars annually, were successfully eradicated in the state. This was one of the main turning points in the development of the state's modern cattle industry. Under Dr. Milligan's leadership, programs were implemented that led to the eradication of tuberculosis and brucellosis from cattle herds.


Richard Beard, Sr.

1999
Pioneer Award
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Richard Beard, Sr. was born in Tennessee and graduated from Washington and Lee University. Beard moved to Alabama in 1937 and started Glendale Farms near Trussville in north Jefferson County. He also operated Glendale Mills- a seed, feed, and hardware business. Beard was a very active leader in agricultural organizations. He was past president of Jefferson County Cattlemen's Association, the Birmingham Agricultural Club, and District Supervisor of the Alabama Association of Soil Conservation. In 1965 Beard was elected president of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association. Beard offered his knowledge of and leadership abilities in agriculture to the general public in 1966 when he was elected Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries for Alabama. He was re-elected in 1970 but died in office in 1972. The State of Alabama honored Beard by naming the building that houses the state Department of Agriculture the Richard Beard Building. Beard's son, Richard, Jr., operates the family farm today.


Homer Neal Lewis

1999
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Homer Neal Lewis was born in Baker Hill in Barbour County in 1922. He served 40 months in the Army and then graduated from Auburn University in Agricultural Education. Lewis served 37 years on the State Agribusiness Supervisory staff, most of those years working directly with youngsters on their livestock projects. Lewis was a fixture at the various fairs around the state helping with livestock events. The Alabama Agricultural Center Board honored Lewis in 1986 by naming an exhibit barn in his honor, H. N. Lewis Swine Barn. Lewis received the Distinguished Service Award from the Alabama Farm Bureau and the State Fair Authority. Lewis worked many years with the state FFA program and served as State FFA Advisor. He was instrumental in starting the FFA State Officer Alumni Group and the FFA Hall of Honor. He has received many honors for his untiring work with the FFA program.


Billy Maples

1999
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


William D. (Billy) Maples grew up on a cattle farm in Elkmont where he has been involved in the purebred Angus business all of his life. He graduated from Auburn University in Animal Science and returned to the family farm. Billy, along with his father Mack, developed Maples Stock Farm into one of the leading purebred Angus herds in the state. Maples has been extremely active in the cattle industry and a leader in promoting performance testing. Maples Stock Farm has been recognized for testing bulls at the Auburn University bull test for 47 out of the first 50 years, the most of any herd in the state. Maples served as president of the Limestone County Cattlemen's Association, the Alabama Angus Association, the Alabama Purebred Beef Breeds Council, the Alabama Beef Cattle Improvement Association and the Limestone County Farmers Federation. He also was Chairman of the Alabama Farmers Federation Beef Committee. In 1989, Maples served as president of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association and was on the National Cattlemen's Association Board of Directors.


Tom McCord

2000/2001
Pioneer Award
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Tom McCord was born in 1900 in Louisburg, Tennessee. He worked as ticket agent for L&N Railroad during the depression, lived in Bowling Green, Kentucky, then, St. Petersburg, Florida, then back to Nashville. McCord started his career with the Tennessee Department of Agriculture. He left in 1938 to come to Montgomery as president of Union Stockyards, which at one time had the "largest cattle sales east of St. Louis and south of Chicago." He moonlighted as an auctioneer, which soon became his passion. McCord left the stockyard business to go full-time into auctioneering in 1945. He never owned a cow because he believed he was here to sell them. At one time he was the leading auctioneer of purebred livestock in the country. During WWII he traveled all over the country auctioneering. McCord was still auctioning a few sales at the time of his death at age 67.


Gene Ragan

2000/2001
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Gene Ragan grew up on a southwest Georgia cattle farm where he showed champion steers at cattle shows and was active in 4-H. He graduated from the University of Georgia with a major in Animal Husbandry. He moved to Dothan to pursue a career as a farm broadcaster on radio and television. His 50 plus year career included work with the agricultural extension service, farm broadcasting and writing, agribusiness consulting and cattle production. Gene Ragan's popular farm shows on WTVY-TV in Dothan, lasting almost 41 years on one station, are believed to have been the longest running television farm shows in the nation. Gene Ragan's name has been synonymous with farm news in the tri-states Wiregrass area. Ragan had an outstanding herd of Charolais cattle, served as president of the Alabama Charolais Association and was involved with the BCLA program. He is a longtime member of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association and a great supporter of the association's effort to protect, advance and promote the beef cattle industry. Throughout the years beginning in 1953, Raga used his farm radio and TV programs to keep folks informed about the cattle industry. Ragan has received numerous awards for his outstanding contribution to agriculture including the Progressive Farmer's Man of the Year for Agriculture, Auburn University's Agricultural Hall of Honor, Grand Marshall of the National Peanut Festival and The Richard Deese Award from the Alabama BCIA. Ragan is married to the former Marilyn Middleton, and they have two sons.



Ed Whatley

2000/2001
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Ed Whatley is a native of Brundidge and graduated from Pike County High School. He worked in the meat department of A&P and completed the Journeymen's Meat Cutters School and the advanced Meat Marketing courses. Whatley joined the Alabama Cattlemen's Association in 1973 where he was employed as a Field Representative. As fieldman, Whaley is responsible for working on the beef promotion programs with the grocery stores and foodservice industries. He has driven the "wheels off" of at least fifteen Beef Wagons on Alabama highways and attended more county meetings, field days, and stockyards than anyone can count promoting beef and informing producers about the beef checkoff program. In 1986, Ed was named Director of Retail and Foodservice Promotion with the ACA. Whatley has been successful in getting the supermarkets across the state to utilize the national beef promotion programs. In 1999, under Ed's guidance, Bruno's became the first statewide chain to roll out the "Beef Made Easy" program for its consumers. Whatley has been married to the former Joyce Brooks of Cambelton, Florida for 36 years, they have three children.


Roy Hereford

2002
Pioneer Award
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Hereford received a BS degree from Auburn University in 1957 where he was a member of the livestock judging team. He was a licensed auctioneer conducting numerous livestock sales annually. He was a fixture at the Auburn University Bull Test sale and sold the record setting $300.000 bull. Hereford operated a cattle farm near Faunsdale and served as president of the Marengo County Cattlemen's Association, was a charter member of the County Farm Bureau, an organizer of the 4-H/FFA county steer show. He served as Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Faunsdale United Methodist Church, a board member of the Perry County Christian Academy and served on the board of the Central Bank of Uniontown. He was Jaycee Outstanding Farmer of the Year and the Farm Bureau Outstanding Young Farm Family.


Ed Lovelace

2002
Member, Alabama Livestock Hall of Fame


Ed Lovelace has farmed and raised cattle near Florence, Alabama most of his life. He has always been very involved in agricultural activities. He served as president of the Lauderdale County Cattlemen's Association, the Tennessee Valley Feeder Calf Association, and as a Director of the Florence Stockyard. Lovelace is Lifetime Director of the Alabama Cattlemen's Association and in December of 1999, the Lauderdale County Cattlemen's Association recognized Lovelace for his 30 years of service by naming a scholarship in his honor. Lovelace served in the army during the Korean War. He is involved in the Masons, Kiwanis Club and American Legion as well as a number of other civic organizations.


Dr. B G Ruffin