Hmmm…what’s going on around the ACA? Oh, not much.
WRONG! We’re in high gear this week in downtown Montgomery as we prepare to head to the ‘Ham for the 76th annual ACA Convention & Trade Show next Friday and Saturday. All our work these days seems to revolve around the show, but there’s a lot of other happenings going around here at the ACA. Keep reading to learn more!
76TH ANNUAL ACA CONVENTION & TRADE SHOW
We’re beefin’ up the ‘Ham…Birmingham, that is! Join us at the 2019 ACA Convention & Trade Show at the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex (BJCC) February 15-16, 2019. There are endless activities, learning opportunities and networking experiences awaiting your registration including dynamic and educational Cattlemen’s Colleges, a trade show with the industry’s elite equipment, tool and nutritional names, a menu of delicious beef meals and fun for the whole family at Friday evening’s Boots & BBQ event and Saturday’s Awards Banquet! If you missed online registration and plan to register on-sight the day of the event, please note that meal tickets will be sold on a first-come, first-serve basis. To secure meal tickets ahead of time, you have until THIS THURSDAY to call our office at (334) 265-1867 and speak to Jessica Kennedy.
We look forward to the 76th annual ACA Convention and Trade Show, and you should too! Keep reading to learn more about events for the younger buckaroos.
Junior Cattlemen Events at #BamaBeefMeet
The AJCA will be hosting a mini cattlemen’s college for youth attending convention this year. This fun and educating session will begin at 10 a.m. on Saturday, February 16. Bring your junior cattlemen to the BJCC so they can enjoy fun leadership activities, a scavenger hunt in the trade show, a calving demonstration led by Dr. Soren Rodning and round of beef trivia. Our Director of Education and Outreach Ali Cantrell and ACA Intern Stephanie Fuller will be hosting this event and look forward to having as many youth in attendance as possible. Please have your kids meet in front of the Registration desk at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday to join in on the fun!
2019 Alabama BEEF PAC Auction
This year’s auction is shaping up to be the best yet! With tons of unique, handcrafted or collectors items, you’ll want to bring your wallet this year. Remember, all contributions benefit the Alabama BEEF Political Action Committee. Check out this list of items!
- Truck and Trailer Kids Toy donated by Happy Toy Company (valued at $500)
- One Full Registration to 2020 NCBA Annual Convention and Trade Show in San Antonio, TX donated by NCBA (value $800)
- Bull credit donated by CK Cattle (value $500)
- One pair of Stetson boots (your choice based on availability) donated by Stetson Boots (value $400)
- Firepit built by Limestone Co. FFA and donated by ACA (value $300)
- Cattle Ranching-Themed Chest of Drawers made and donated by the Lauderdale County Alabama Junior Cattlemen
- Heifer credit donated by Collins Farm (value $500)
- Custom-made western spurs by Tommy Sprayberry donated by Cantrell Cattle Co. (value $800)
- Winchester Buffalo Bill Commemorative Rifle donated by Alabama Ag Credit ($1500)
- 2-night stay at the Lodge at Gulf Shores donated by The Lodge (value $500)
- Bull credit donated by Lake Majestic Farms (value $500)
- July Cover of the Alabama Cattleman magazine (value $1000)
- Handmade Signature PRAY Pottery Hush Puppy Batter Bowl donated by Andrew and Melissa Hale (value $65)
- Handmade Signature PRAY Pottery Red & Turquoise Bowl donated by Andrew and Melissa Hale (value $65)
- $500 bull credit Meadows Creek Farm
- Gobbler Hunt in Levy County, Florida donated by Alabama Beef PAC (Minimum Bid- $4,000)
Congrats, Clay County!
The 2018 Clay County Cattlemen’s Association Rodeo recently earned kudos from the Frontier Classic Rodeo Company, the event’s stock contractor. The 2018 show earned the title of “Best New Rodeo of the Year” at the Southeastern Professional Rodeo Association Finals this weekend in Philadelphia, MS. Clay County President and Regional Vice President Jim Jordan was present in his red coat to accept the award on the chapter’s behalf. Congratulations on this award and an outstanding event!
Young Cattlemen’s Leadership Program Class VI
We are proud that at our upcoming convention, we will graduate over 20 young leaders from the Young Cattlemen’s Leadership Program Class V. With their graduation comes a new season for the program beginning in May- Class VI. Applications for YCLP Class VI will be accepted until February 28, 2019. If you are or know a young person eager to expand their knowledge and networking in Alabama’s beef cattle industry, please submit a nomination to Ali Cantrell by email or mail. Applications are available online, just click here!
2019 ACF Scholarship Banquet
New this year- the annual Alabama Cattlemen’s Foundation scholarship banquet will not be held in conjunction with the ACA Convention & Trade Show Awards Banquet. Insead, the Alabama Cattlemen’s Foundation looks forward to awarding over $70,000 in scholarships on Saturday, March 23 at the 2019 Scholarship Banquet held at the Wetumpka Civic Center located in Central Alabama’s River Region. Scholarship recipients should RSVP to Jessica Kennedy.
COUNTY ANNUAL MEETING SEASON
We’ve enjoyed seeing the highlight love to see the hard work of counties executed in their annual meeting. We look forward to more still to come, which can be found on the Bama Beef Events Calendar. As a reminder, leading up to your county’s annual meeting, please contact Jessica Kennedy in our office to infor her of the date, time and location and to request a speaker! Remember, the earlier you get those dates to us, the earlier we can get them on our website and in the magazine!! Following the meeting, send Jessica any officer updates in order to update our system with corrected contact information for 2019. RVPs, we encourage you to reach out to your counties to let them know you plan to attend their meetings! That way, they can account for your meal.
We encourage county secretaries to tackle the i4a membership software to input new and renewed members for your meetings! Refresher videos on how to use the software are available! Just contact Jessica. As you’re collecting membership information to put into the system at your meetings, remember how important phone numbers and email addresses are! It is essential to county leaders and to us here at the state to be able to contact our members when needed. It helps everyone in the long run.
A few other membership reminders to note:
- The three-year member dues have changed to $120 with $82 coming back to the state office.
- Early Bird drawing deadline is March 31.
- Other membership deadlines will be announced at the Convention board meeting with a follow-up email from Jessica with details highlighted.
SLE RODEO- COMING TO TOWN!
The 62nd annual SLE Rodeo will come bucking back to town March 14-16 for the best show on dirt east of the Mississippi! Ticket sales are now available, so give Kara Coplin a call at 888-2RODEO2. To learn more about this year’s SLE Rodeo & Livestock Week, visit www.SLERodeo.com.
*NOTICE* Cowgirls, take note of the new “Clear Bag Policy” at the Garrett Coliseum. Regular purses are no longer allowed for security reasons, so grab those clear stadium bags before heading to this year’s show!